The Heart of Covenant Living
It’s the second week of Lent!
Last week at Riverview, we started our rainbow heart with the colour purple, this week we will add blue. We will have a beautiful piece of artwork at the end of it thanks to Janice Lewis.
Next week, there will be pictures from both Riverview and Nine Mile River.
Scripture this week is Genesis 9: 8-17 and Mark 1:9-15
Questions I am pondering:
- How do God’s promises to us reassure us that we are not alone?
- How do we experience Jesus life, death and resurrection?
- What does it mean to pick up Jesus’ cross and follow him?
At Riverview we will be celebrating the baptism of Annabelle Brooking! Always a joy!
At Nine Mile River, the Annual Meeting will be incorporated into worship followed by a potluck lunch.
If you haven’t received an Annual Report, and you want to read through it before Sunday, you can find it here.
The new name tags are in at Riverview. They are magnetic, so won’t ruin your clothing. You can find them on the front door as you come in. If you don’t have one, or your name was spelled incorrectly, please speak with Christine Rainnie.
Some of what I have read this week:
- There is more and more research about the effects of loneliness etc. Check out: Am I Invisible?
- Don’t you just love this title? Five Boring Problems You Need to Fix!
Interim Ministry is Like Going on a Diet!
You know, you start off with enthusiasm, will power and good intentions. You make some progress, you’re feeling better, you have a little bit more spring in your step, it’s easier climbing a flight of stairs, you’re sleeping better. You are confident that with help and persistence you will reach your goal.
And then suddenly one day, all you want to do is eat some chips. Or chocolate. Or Cheesecake. Or all three! It’s too hard, you can’t even see the goal any more. In fact, you are not sure if you want to get to the goal. Maybe you’ll just plateau and stay the same. There’s nothing wrong with that is there? Maybe you backslide a bit, you go back to your old habits, you regain some of the weight, and before you know it, you are right back where you started.
And then suddenly one day, all you want to do is eat some chips. Or chocolate. Or Cheesecake. Or all three! Or maybe just have a second helping. It’s too hard, you’re not sure if you want to get to the goal. You can’t even see the goal any more. Maybe you’ll just plateau and stay the same. There’s nothing wrong with that is there?
Maybe you backslide a bit, slip back into some of your old habits, you regain some of the weight, and before you know it, you are right back where you started. Where you didn’t want to be. As a serial Weight Watcher, this metaphor makes sense to me. It popped into my head as I woke up a couple of days ago.
We are trying to create new habits, new ways of interaction, new ways to handle disagreements and differences of opinion. New ways of being the church! And the old habits are embedded and it takes energy and intention to create and live into the new ones. And it’s hard. But if we want to realize the potential that is
I was appointed by Halifax Presbytery to work with you through challenges and opportunities. You were called to join me in that ministry. May we all recall the promises we made to each other: To respect and care for each other through times of growth and joy and through times of sorrow and challenge. We promised to support one another with constant love, wholesome example, Christian teaching and faithful prayer, ever mindful of the fact that we are all part of the family of God together. We affirm that on those occasions when we fall short, God’s ever-living grace will help us re-orient again to love. May it be so, amen.
Summary of January 2018 Executive Meeting
- PowerChurch software purchased to streamline all of our record keeping.
- The purchase of nametags approved, funds taken from the Memorial Fund.
- Dates for annual meetings set.
- Approved the baptismal request for Annabelle Brooking.
- Purchase of TV for the entryway to be used as a monitor to highlight upcoming events, programs, signage, etc. Funds from Memorial Fund.
- Arrangements to be made for the rear part of the entryway.
- Permission given for the East Hants Community Chorale to use the closet across from the Choir Room
- Riverview will host a Community Round Table with various Community Organizations March 21, 2018, 10 – 12 am.
- The draft budget was approved.
- Plans were made to clean out the room next to the lift to store the excess chairs. Plans were made to build dollies for easier movement of the chairs in and out of storage.
- There will be a short sharing session following worship on March 4th. All committees, groups etc. are invited to share plans and events that are coming up.