To continue with the second week of our Jesus Doesn’t Care series, I spent a long time contemplating baptism and pondering:
- What does the United Church say about baptism?
- What does it mean to be baptized?
- What are the reasons people bring their children for baptism if they don’t intend to participate in the life of a faith community?
- And, of course, does Jesus care whether we are baptized or not?
The United Church has 4 understandings of baptism:
- A ritual of covenant and welcome into the faith community
- A ritual of grace
- A rite of passage
- A ritual of belonging
Parents and adults usually approach baptism through one of these understandings.
When we baptize… and while I might preside over the ritual, it’s not just me who is baptizing… it is us… as a community of faith… we ALL enter into the baptism. That is why in the United…
View original post 1,395 more words