Riverview United Church
It was in 1969 that the United Churches of the Elmsdale Pastoral Charge entered into a Shared Ministry with the Presbyterian congregations of Elmsdale and Hardwoodlands. Two of the churches belonging to the Elmsdale Pastoral Charge, Enfield United and Elmsdale United, amalgamated in October 1982 to form Riverview United Church.
Worship services were held at St. Matthews Presbyterian Church (Elmsdale) until funds became available for Riverview to build a new church to replace the original one built in 1932. Sunday School classes were held in the Christian Education Centre which had been added to the original Elmsdale United Church building in 1964. This addition included kitchen facilities, two bathrooms, a hall, ladies parlour and Pastor’s study. In 1981, the basement of the Christian Education Centre was finished to provide more Sunday School rooms and a Nursery. In 1985, additional office space and a larger nursery facility were added.
In 1993, construction of the new sanctuary for Riverview was started on the site of the old church and was attached to the Christian Education Centre. The new Riverview United Church, located on Miller Road in the centre of the village of Elmsdale where Hwy. # 2 and # 214 meet, had its Grand Opening on Sept. 24, 1994. On the same level as the sanctuary, with a seating capacity of 325, is a spacious Narthex, an audio-equipped quiet/family room just off the sanctuary, and a storage room. A chair-lift was installed in 2002 providing wheelchair accessibility to the 2600 sq. ft. Christian Education Centre.
The CE Centre is used by the residents of Elmsdale and surrounding communities for various activities such as dance, New Beginnings, Brownies and Girl Guides. Dorcas Place, a Thrift Shop operates out of the lower level.
We have had two members of our church graduate from the Atlantic School of Theology and be ordained.
On January 31, 2001, the shared arrangement of the four churches was dissolved. The Elmsdale Pastoral Charge of the United Church of Canada is now a two-point charge consisting of Riverview United Church and Nine Mile River United Church.
Nine Mile River
Nine Mile River United Church, located on Hwy. 14 in Nine Mile River was built in 1884, with a seating capacity of 150 and parking for 40 – 50 vehicles. A wheelchair ramp was installed along one side with the entrance leading into the front of the Sanctuary.
Renovations were done in 1963-1964 to make the church more serviceable to meet the needs of today. The finished basement is a large open area that has a furnished kitchen, a bathroom and an enclosed furnace room.
These facilities are also used by the residents of Nine Mile River to accommodate small receptions for weddings and funerals, a monthly Fellowship Luncheon following Sunday service.
A Shared Ministry which began in 1969 and included the United Churches of Elmsdale Pastoral Charge and the two Presbyterian churches which are located in Elmsdale and Hardwoodland, dissolved on January 31st, 2001. The Elmsdale Pastoral Charge of the United Church of Canada is now a two-point charge consisting of Nine Mile River United Church and Riverview United Church.